Thursday, September 21, 2006

Stiff Upper Lip

Taking advantage of the plethora of sick days we get as teachers in Utah (that's about all we get) and my grandmother's nagging, I'm home for day 2. And I think it was wise - not talking is a good thing right now, and while I feel a lot better than yesterday, I think taking it easy for another day is going to make getting better happen a lot faster.

Between the cold in me and the cold outside, I've been craving comfort food, so today I made a childhood classic: creamed tuna. This was a staple for us growing up, usually either when we're sick or when we return from a trip.

The recipe:
1) Melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour and stir.
2) Whisk in milk to make a basic white sauce.
3) While thickening, add tuna or, if you prefer, hard boiled eggs.
4) Season with salt. Serve over toast. Add frozen peas, if desired, for cooling.

It comes from the British side of the family - can you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment