Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Some Say

A few verbal snapshots of my life from the past few days:

Scene: My Drama 1 class. We're playing To Tell The Truth. Three boys sit on the cubes up front.
Boy 1: Hi, my name is Alain, and I came to this country when I was 8.
Boy 2: Hi, my name is Martin, and I came to this country when I was 8.
Boy 3: Hi, my name is Edgar, and I came to this country when I was 8.
Me: Okay, who has a question to figure out who's telling the truth?
Kid: Where did you live before?
Boy 1: Mexico.
Boy 2: Mexico City.
Boy 3: Mexico.
Another Kid: Did you come here illegally?
All three boys look at each other, then at the ground, then say in a way that convinces me they're all actually telling the truth.
Boy 1: Yes.
Boy 2: Yes.
Boy 3: Yes.
Scene: My English class. Chris stands up at the front, giving his Greek Mythology report.
Chris: My guy's Eros, aka Cupid. He's the god of love. I looked up his picture online, but I won't show it to you because he's hella-
Chris looks at me, then corrects himself

-hecka nasty. He was all nekked!
Scene: Advanced Drama. We're workshopping the Shakespeare monologues that I assigned to each student. Laura, a cute, dimpled girl, just finished playing Juliet's "Gallop apace, you fiery-footed steeds" speech.
Laura: "... and every tongue that speaks
But Romeo's name speaks heavenly eloquence."
All girls in the class: Awwwwwwww!
Me: as Laura takes her seat and I cross to the front Isn't that beautiful?
"
and, when he shall die, Take him and cut him out in little stars, And he will make the face of heaven so fine That all the world will be in love with night"
Emily: so caught up that she says much more loudly than she intends I LOVE Shakespeare!
Scene: Advanced Drama. More monologue playing.
Me: Ah, "Macbeth"! Okay, we'll need four volunteers for this one.
Kid: Ooh! Ooh! I want to die! Is there going to be a lot of blood?
Another kid: You know, that's a really weird sentence if you're not in drama class.



And, finally, in honor of spring pictures next week:
funny pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment