Thursday, September 23, 2010

Standing on a Corner

Whew!

Well, tonight's conferences kept me hopping!

My desk is still covered in papers, although I did make tidier stacks for the sake of my half-day sub.

Right after my last class, I grabbed the food from my office desk (hidden from the chillen's) and took it down to the main office for the faculty. I made Peanut Butter-Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats, Fruity Pebbles Treats, and had an array of fruit for the healthy types at the school. All were a hit.

I allowed myself ten minutes to hang out with adults before abandoning the conversations to go back upstairs and do some Speech Coaching. I worked with students until about 4:30, stopping twice for conferences. After another conference, I grabbed some dinner at the cafeteria and then held a Speech Parents meeting to address all of the questions and mysteries for the parents new to speech. Following that, I had back-to-back conferences straight through to 8:00. Good, since the parents were all very nice and complimentary (apparently I'm a popular dinner conversation topic around Mountain Town) and I talked two girls into trying speech out this year (which brings the total number of kids on the team/class to 47). Bad, since I had all kinds of plans for things to do today.

So, I stayed an extra half hour to type up sub plans for tomorrow and am now hunting around on Google Maps for places for me and my kids to eat tomorrow. Many of them have never been downtown before, so I planned some extra time for us to grab a bite there. If traffic behaves, we'll have about 45 minutes before we need to be at the theater, so I'm thinking we walk over to Market Street/Writer's Square for breakfast of some kind. Then, after the stuff, we'll walk a few blocks up to the 16th Street Mall for lunch. I was worried that the restaurants would be too pricey/sit-downy for my kiddos to grab a quick bite, but there's a McDonalds, a Goodtimes, a Tokyo Joe's, and a Paradise Cafe there, so we should be good.

I'll still have to get to school on the early side tomorrow. I have a few students who are coming by in the morning to drop things off for Speech, and I still need to put together some work packets for the boys who are staying behind due to grades. If I leave the condo by 6:30, I should be in good shape. Unfortunately, I tend to get to school later than I should for being only 10 minutes away. The lure of sleeping just a bit longer is intensified by knowing how close I am, I suppose. Shame on me. I'll try to get everything shut down and packed up in the morning so I can go straight home after the field trip. If I don't, though, I'll be back up here Saturday for Homecoming, so there's still that.

Wish me luck tomorrow for my first official MTHS field trip (not counting speech meets)!

No comments:

Post a Comment