Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Hermitage - State Rooms and General Decor

We dedicated most of Tuesday to visiting the Hermitage.

I visited it before with Rose and Yan and remembered being thoroughly impressed by the building, but not so much by the art.  While I did find a few new art pieces to enjoy this time, once again the building itself outshone the collection.  Perhaps the best evidence of this is my decision to dedicate a post exclusively to the floors and ceilings.

But first, some fairly miscellaneous photos

A panoramic of one of the main rooms.


Door Knob


Better Door Knob


A candidate for my drawer pulls makeover?


One of the best rooms in the palace - it's a Baroque explosion of white and gold opulence.

A modest living room.


On the grand staircase



Dad, halfway up the grand staircase, who was very patient
while I waited for the tour groups to clear out enough for this shot.


Gate on the way out (with double-headed eagle, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment