Tuesday, March 15, 2005

One Day More

And so, faithful readers, we come to our final days!

Today (Tuesday) was our teaser assembly and final dress rehearsal. The assembly went pretty well. We picked the best 7 songs for that cast and ran them pretty much in the order they appear in in the show.
I was really happy with the teaser. The kids did a nice job and the audience was wonderful. They were engaged, receptive, and engrossed (a remarkable things when you remember that it was a junior high school crowd).
In between songs, I gave away a couple of sets of free tickets to the show to kids who could answer some trivia questions about Dr. Seuss (What book did Dr. Seuss write after his editor bet him to write a book with less than 50 words in it? What teacher at our school has the same birthday as Dr. Seuss? and Where did Theodore Geisel get his nom de plume from?) . That was a new thing this year, and I think it made show tickets a bit more desirable to the students.

It's hard to say this, but I am actually declaring the set finished. Maybe. Watching my drama classes do their monologues today, I kept looking at the set behind them, noting things to change: Rounding out that staircase on the backdrop, masking the curve under the Whoville platform, add some shadowing on the mountains, et cetera. Maybe if I get a chance tomorrow afternoon before the show, I will keep tweaking.
I was good today, though. After rehearsal, I only stayed for another hour or so to make a call, answer some emails, and to type up some cues. I was actually home by just after 8. Better, I let my stage crew go right after rehearsal.

I am tired, though. It was an early morning for me (I was at school by 6:45 to help my kids set up for the assembly), following a long week. I still like it, though. Moreover, I adore these kids. I love the devotion they are giving.

Here's an interesting side effect. I think that what with running around all day the past few weeks, I've lost some weight. At least, my pants feel looser on me. A good thing, yes, but the ill-fitting pants results in a frequent sensation that my zipper is down. When I hear kids snickering after I turn away from them, I worry about that. Granted, with a crowd like we had at the assembly, there were perpetual snickers that had very little to do with me. Still, I keep having to check my fly.
And you can tell that I've been spending way too much time in middle school when I find the possibility of embarrassing myself like that an interesting phenomenon. Oy.

Tomorrow it begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment