Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lessons from Homer

"... which means," I said, wrapping up the overview of The Iliad and The Odyssey that kicks off the unit on Greek mythology, "and this is important to remember, if you ever find yourself in the middle of a Greek myth do NOT get proud.  The gods do not like hubris."

The students laugh appreciatively.  Chris raises his hand, "How will we know if we're in the middle of a Greek myth?"

"Easy," Sam jumps in, recalling the statues and paintings I had included in the overview, "everyone around you will be naked."

This time I join in the laughter, too.  But when I think about it, "I don't know, Sam," I say, "the last time I was surrounded by naked people it definitely wasn't a Greek myth."


P.S.  Bonus Humanities class quote: "So, if the Egyptians really liked music, they might paint the Eye of Pod in their tombs?"

No comments:

Post a Comment