Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Quiet Life

I have not been blogging as much as you might expect because I've been enjoying a quiet routine.  For example, I got up this morning as Jason left for work; made breakfast and caught up on internet reading; made a few phone calls to deal with the flooding thing; worked out in the building's gym for an hour (treadmill, stationary bike, and elliptical); came back to the apartment to shower, do laundry, and make lunch; then headed out to run a few errands including a trip to the German bakery for bread - such luxury to be able to buy specific items from specific shops.  This evening I did a Pilates/Yoga workout via Netflix, showered again, made dinner and enjoyed it while watching an old episode of Downton Abbey.

See?  Nothing too exciting.  But it is quiet and, moreover, I get to do all of this at my leisure.  It is a slower pace than usual, and certainly pales in comparison to Jason, who was up before dawn for a bike ride and is still working late.  It is nice to have the means to spend 90-120 minutes a day exercising, though, in addition to the motivation provided by such a health-conscious roommate.

This has been my weekday schedule essentially since I arrived here.  It changes tomorrow - I'll be working at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival for the rest of the week.  I'm looking forward to seeing what that's like, although the 99-degree-50%-chance-of-rain forecast for Friday raises some concern.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:11 PM

    To paraphrase Bilbo, a quiet life is no bad thing.

    ReplyDelete