Monday, October 01, 2012

Financial Diet - Update

A month ago I decided to forgo all discretionary spending in an attempt to regain some financial stability in the wake of my notorious summer.

It's October 1st. It's time for reckoning.  I broke my rules a total of three times:

1) I paid $395 for a home appraisal in order to refinance my mortgage.

2) I spent $375 on tuition for 3 of the 6 hours of college credit required by the State of Colorado to maintain my teaching license.

3)  I spent $7 on a new broom.

So there it is.  I spent $777 this month on items other than my designated necessities.  It's not the greatest record, but I don't know if I could have done better.  My old broom really didn't work, and I have an awful lot of wood floors now.

I don't know how much I'll lighten up in October.  On one hand, my schedule only gets busier this month which makes it a lot easier to avoid unnecessary purchases.  It's also easier to resist the urge to get new jeans or new earrings or curtains for my office when I have a strict, time-specific goal to keep.  I do feel more financially secure after this lean month, especially now that my extra-duty pay for drama and speech is kicking back in.  So I think I'll keep this up a while longer, add a bit more support to my tentative fiscal optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment