Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Quiet Days

With the forecasted temperature going above 100 degree (ew, ew, ew!) and a solid month of playing tourist behind me, I have taken a mini-vacation from my vacation.

Sunday was spent, as you saw, photographing Jason's face and attending church.  Pretty normal stuff.

Jason returned to work on Monday, and I did not (yay!).  I spent the day working on my computer, walking around the neighborhood, cleaning up the apartment, and reading.  We were going to watch Persuasion Sunday night, but when Jason discovered that I hadn't read that book yet, he withdrew the offer and the DVD until I had.  I'm almost done with it now and hope to watch it tonight or tomorrow night.  The time we have left to watch things is growing rapidly short, yet the list of things we want to watch ever lengthens.

I had a hair appointment with Jason's stylist this morning.  I mentioned a while ago that I would probably need at least a bang trim while I was here, given the length of my stay.  He enthusiastically recommended his stylist, and I spent the last part of our Peru trip blowing my hair out of my eyes, glad that I had an appointment waiting.

She's just as good as he promised.  My stylist in Denver put in some highlights the last time I went that were far chunkier than I like.  This lady listened when I said I was totally open to cut and color suggestions, looked at and ruffled my hair, pitched her ideas for softening the look, and we dove in. 

Here, take a look:

Before:
Haircut 7/11 Haircut 7/11



After:
Haircut 7/11 Haircut 7/11

Much better!  Although I should probably have shot in better light for the color in both cases to show. Now it's an all-over coppery-brown I really like.  Yay for Sue the Stylist!

I told her if she ever moved to Denver (her sister lives there, actually), she'd have an instant customer. She told me to be sure to come back the next time I visit Jason. I just might do that.

You'll also notice that, unlike Jason, I smile in my hair pictures. I wondered why he persisted in looking so grim while we were shooting him Sunday morning, especially since he was jovial at the time, despite what the evidence suggests.

He said it was because smiling "ruined the lines."

Well, lines be damned I say! I'm happy, so I'm going to smile.

Really, I am happy. Life is good right now, and I'm not just saying that because I took Jason's car to Trader Joe's after my haircut and got three jars of cornichons which may or may not last long enough for me to take them home next week. I'm actually saying that despite having lost my Kindle today.

Yes, after running various errands I arrived back at the apartment to discover that the Kindle had gone missing. I knew I had it with me earlier - I had taken it into the German bakery I went to for lunch (mmm.. wurst). I called the bakery and searched all over the car to no avail. The Kindle is misplaced and I have no idea where to find it.

I'll keep hoping it will turn up, though. I have faith in humanity and my iPad nearby, thankfully, as a substitute e-reader.

There are still a few things on my DC To-Do list before I leave. I hope the temperature drops enough to make going outside bearable again, since visiting the various monuments and going to the Eastern Market are not things I'm eager to do in this kind of heat. Air-conditioned art museums, on the other hand, await me tomorrow whether the weather be cold or whether the weather be hot.*

I'll keep you posted, as usual, with my adventures.  I'm also going to work on a video of our Peru trip tonight, which I will certainly share once that's done, too.



* We'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not!
Phew!  That's better. I just couldn't leave that tongue twister unfinished.

No comments:

Post a Comment