Monday, January 18, 2010

I Ain't Down Yet

Thank you for the supportive comments, both in the blog and in person!

They've helped me get into a better frame of mind. I'm so enamored with the ideas of either renting the condo and moving abroad to teach or applying for the Arts Management fellowship at the Kennedy Center that I almost wish I'd get non-renewed.

Almost.

I'll keep you posted, of course, but I don't plan to hear anything for several weeks. All the more fun, right?

In happier news, I had a lovely weekend playing tour guide again. Jason flew in Thursday night and, despite there being nothing of especial interest in town this weekend (aside from the stock show, of course), we had fun. Here's a run-down of the highlights:

1. Playing at the Denver Art Museum, where
a. I renewed my teacher's membership,
b. we played in the bungee-cord jungle installation as part of their temporary exhibit:
Me at DAM

c. we made postcards:
Postcards!

and d. we played dress up with the sample period costumes:
Dressing Up

(The beauty of going in the middle of a school day is getting to play with hands-on parts without any annoying kids getting in the way!)

Oh, we also saw some art, but that's really secondary. Back to the list!

2. Browsing Tattered Cover

3. Wandering around Boulder (it was in the 50's Saturday! Perfect wandering weather!)

4. Watching "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and "Nine"

5. Watching the Golden Globes with Rachel, Ben, and Brian

6. Eating at Damascus Grill, Vesta Dipping Grill, Brasserie 1010, and PeiWei

7. Making Spanish hot chocolate, baguettes, and curry (not all at the same time)

8. Shopping for spices

9. Eating cupcakes late at night, surrounded by hipsters and realizing we were the oldest people in the place
More Cupcakes!
Totally worth it, though.

10. And, of course, a lot of talking. That is one thing we do very well. We stayed up far too late each night doing that, though. After I took Jason to the airport this morning (which was precarious on two accounts - one, because the gas light in my car came on in the middle of Pena Blvd and I panicked because I had no idea how long this new car gave me before running completely out and two, because I was so dang tired), I crawled right back into bed and slept for another two hours.

Aside from some light housework, finishing the commercial to announce the musical tomorrow, working out, and catching up on the interwebs, today was a lazy day.

Like this:
Lazy Day

I'm not ready to go back to work tomorrow, but there are some good trees in the road ahead to stand as goalposts, so I'll just focus on the closest and worry about the rest later. "Anonymous" hit the nail on the head with the suggestion for reading time. I haven't read very much at all this week, and that never makes for a happy Amanda. I'll hop on my Kindle before I go to bed and see what enticements I can download instead of planning for my classes tomorrow.

Because first things first, after all.

P.S. I'm very curious who "Anonymous" is, since you offered such good advice. Please comment again and declare yourself! :)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:32 PM

    I am the anonymous comment maker. I didn't intend to be anonymous, but I had trouble getting it to post. So in the spirit of anonymity, I'll give you clues. The first one is tough: my maiden name is Dutch for button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic weekend! Does this mean you will willingly romp with me through the science museum if you come this spring?!? I am dying to try some of those experiments without having to stop and chase down Logan as he tries to bungee jump the stairwell using only his scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Brenda! I should have guessed by the excellent teacher advice.

    ReplyDelete