Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What Do the Simple Folk Do?

Today a student in Advanced Drama asked a fellow student, "If you could eat anything in the world that you haven't eaten yet, what would you eat?"

The student thought for a moment.  "I want to eat something fancy in Europe.  You know, like what a king would eat."

The other students nodded.  One asked, "What kind of food would a king eat?"

They all looked to me.  "Well," I said, drawing on my memories of recent fancy European meals, "I ate foam this summer."

"Foam?" they asked.

"Foam," I said.

"Foam?" they asked with a different inflection.

"Foam," I said.  "It was part of a 15-course meal I had in Spain."

"Foam?"  they asked again. It turns out there are a lot of inflections with which you can pronounce this one syllable word. "Like... foam?"

"Yes," I said.  "Like seafoam.  Little bubbles made from ocean water.  Foam."

"You ate foam?"

"Yes."

"Like the white stuff in water?"

"Yes."

"Like on an ocean wave?"

"Yes."

"Like-"

I cut them off, "What you're picturing right now when I say 'foam' - that's it.  That's what I ate."

They shook their heads, some in awe, some in confusion, some in disbelief.  "Foam," they say.

2 comments:

  1. Now wait just one minute. Fifteen courses? Really? Remember how we agreed on this while eating said meal: No matter how many amuse-bouches there are, if they're all served at once, they count as only a single course. This is outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're confusing "we agreed" with "Jason stated his opinion."

      Delete