Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Duel

So. It turns out I'm an athlete.
I know, I know. You're just as surprised as I am. Although, after my spectacular basketball victory last year, I really should have known.

Last Thursday was my last fencing class. We held a tournament ("we" being the three other students who had stuck it out and I), and get this - I won! I am officially a fencing champion.

Here are some photos of the event:

(I'm the one in the green tennis shoes):


An action shot (the green light means I scored a touch!)


The score sheet (you may need to click on the picture to actually be able to read it):


Our instructor, Kenny (same guy as you, Annie?):


In retrospect, I'm glad I did this. It wasn't what I expected, but I'm getting more comfortable with the sporting life, and I enjoyed myself. Besides, I at least have some basic knowledge to use the next time I'm choreographing a duel on stage. And that was really this point of it all.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:05 PM

    Congratulations on your win!!

    I didn't know there was another fencer in the family. I have not been active in the sport for a few years but Cherie still teaches a class at our town's community center.

    A few years ago we had the chance to help choreograph a high school play. They were doing Hamlet. The students were great and really enjoyed the scene. One of them later joined our club and fenced with us for a while.

    I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy fencing. Participating and competing in sports of all kinds has been one of my most fulfilling things.

    Jeff Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, same teacher as me! And I won our class' fencing match as well! Look at us, a couple of fencers, look out, AHAW is about to take over the world!

    ReplyDelete