Monday, March 19, 2007

Spread a Little Sunshine

We had our first attempt at a run-through/tech rehearsal today. The good news is that some things are really clicking well - thanks to a long painting session on Friday (7 hours!) the set is almost finished. The lights are getting there, the props are almost done, and the mics are working fairly well for us. On the other hand, some of my leads don't know their lines yet, the chorus is lackluster and look either bored or scared on stage, and the dances are far simpler than we'd like, simply because it too the cast far too long to get down the basic moves. Ah well, come hell or high water, the show opens in a week.

Janelle has reached a laissez-faire stage and encourages me to do the same. Kelley is really stressed. I'm not sure if this is because I asked her to help with the props, so she has a lot more of a lad for this show, or if she is just disappointed in how the dances turned out. I tend to bounce back and forth across the spectrum that stretches between their emotions. On one hand, I know how the students perform is virtually out of my control. They'll either do the extra work it'll take this week, or they won't. Then again, I found out last week that 1) Channel 2 news will be covering our show for their morning broadcast (at 5:-freakin'-56am!) AND we have over 1700 elementary school students coming to the Tuesday shows AND one principal volunteered to pay for buses for their ENTIRE SCHOOL to come. So, given that kind of publicity, I feel like I owe it to those audiences and to our reputation to have the best possible performances. And they're not there yet.

Spring fever is hitting, though. It's sunny, it's warm, and I just want to walk and walk and walk outside. Not yet, though. I shall live in the auditorium for a bit longer.


In the meantime, I find this game suits my dazed mindset wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment