Monday, June 11, 2012

Apres Moi, Le Deluge!

I had so many wonderful plans for today.  I was going to spend more quality time with my dear and busy parents, I was going to update my resume and send it out with applications to various volunteer possibilities in the DC area for this summer, I was going to research hotels (and Michelin-starred restaurants) for Spain, I was going to sew a summer skirt.

As you, dear astute reader, have surely surmised by now, my use of past progressive intentions does not bode well for said plans.

No, instead I received word this morning that my apartment flooded.  Indeed, there were so many waters that they leaked into the apartment next door and were discovered by my neighbor who called the fire department to break into my apartment to turn off the water line.  The fire crew also moved most of my furniture out of the worst spots, squeegeed out a lot of the water before the clean-up company even got there, and even put my piano up on cans of corn to protect it from the flood.

That.  That right there is why men in uniform are hot.

(And, yes, I'm being stereotypically sexist and there probably were women in uniform there, but hey!  My apartment's flooded.  Let me objectify a little.)

My plans a wash, I cut my trip short and am now in a hotel near my apartment.  My apartment is a squishy, fan-noisy mess to which I shall return for an early-morning rendezvous with the insurance guys, service crew, and so on.  The carpet in at least one room is ruined, which might mean new carpet in all of the rooms.  It's a project I've been toying with doing for a few years anyway, but I was not planning on doing it immediately before I go out of town for seven weeks.

Flood 1
Oh, Turkish Rug!  Your bold colors lured me, and now I will pay!

Really though, there's a lot that is good about this.  For example:
  1. It happened during the summer, so I don't have to worry about the water freezing or missing work.
  2. It happened during the one trip this summer that I could cut short without too much hassle.
  3. It happened while I was with my parents, so I had a lot of support during the initial "Crap, crap, crap!" moments as well as in the "Crap, crap, crap!" moments that followed.
  4. Most of my furniture looks fine.
  5. The cat was with me and remains in Junction, so I didn't have to worry about her dealing with the water and the strangers and the giant noisy fans.
  6. I was already packed for travel, so I only needed to grab a change of clothes to stay in a hotel tonight.
  7. Ben is incredibly awesome and drove out with Jack right away to meet the work crew and investigate the damage while I was still hours away from home.
And so on.  I'd list more, but I very much need to eat something and get some sleep before I tackle the adventures to come tomorrow. 

Here's hoping I can still fly out to DC on Thursday!

P.S.  I am well aware of the irony of my last name.  To make matters worse, my neighbor's name is Diane Waters.

2 comments:

  1. The water damage guys told me that they half expected it was a prank call :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your unplanned fiasco (aren't all great fiascos unplanned?) and as Amanda-educated Logan would say "It's a domage!" (Yes, I spelled that incorrectly but it is too late to care!)

    ReplyDelete