Saturday, June 14, 2008


For someone who's on summer vacation, I've been a bad blogger. Sorry. This week was ripe with blog fodder, but part of the potential entries involved my multiple freak-outs about moving. And those freak-outs are not the least bit conducive to sitting in front of my laptop and verbalizing my thoughts.

So, to catch you up, here's what's been going on in my world:

I spent the morning on the phone, trying to fix the issues I'm having with my moving company. I don't like movers.

The day perked up when I headed to the opening session of the downtown farmer's market. It was hot and crowded and very lively. I hung out with Janelle and Dallas and Janelle's family, got my first sunburn of the season, and didn't buy a single thing.

Next came errands, mostly setting up a new bank account (my current one is local and from my college days, so it's about time I got one with a national company). In the process, I found out that I have a savings account I didn't know about. From 1991. With over $2000 in it. I wonder how much of that is interest from the past 17 years. It kind of reminded me of that episode of Futurama where Fry discovers what 1000 years of interest did to his old bank account. I think I'll put it towards my move. Imagine that.

After errands and more time on the phone with the movers, I realized that I hadn't eaten yet today, so I picked up what I affectionately and nostalgically call a European meal - some good crusty bread, a yogurt, and a pear. Yum!

Then, off to get my hair cut. I told April she had free reign with my hair - she's really good at figuring out people's personal styles as well as hair. I trust her, and I wanted something different. She gave me this cute asymmetrical disconnected cut that I really like.

And as I type this, I realize that as a good blogger, I should probably post a photo. So here I am in all of my Photo Booth glory:
(By the way, you see that tower of boxes behind me? Yeah, those are all filled with books. And that would be Tower #1 of 4. Seriously, I have a LOT of books.)

The day wrapped up with a visit with my brother at Liberty Heights, take-out from Rumbi's, and an evening getting ready for my trip to Grand Junction tomorrow.

Janelle, Christine and I ran away to Bear Lake for a day. We were going to do a slumber-party-type-of-trip, but Janelle's husband had some issues with the idea of Janelle and the kids being away overnight, so we settled for a day trip. 2 hours up, mostly spent listening to the Broadway channel on Christine's satellite radio, then lunch at LaBeau's, movies at the cabin, and then back to city life again in the evening. We actually did pack swimsuits and towels and all for the beach, but it was rather chilly up there. The lake is full and blue and pretty, but we didn't go near it, opting instead for building a fire at the cabin and passing the baby around over movies. It was much-needed by all.

Packing, packing, packing. And a trip to the temple, some grocery shopping and home cooking (a treat for me, since I usually don't bother during the school year. The featured meal of the week was fish tacos. Oh, I also got sucked into reading "The Shadow of the Wind", which I highly recommend to you book lovers out there (of adult ages, I'm afraid. As your former teacher, I can't recommend this to you lovely, bibliophiliac ex-students of mine until you're old enough for books with scenes of, shall we say for those who were in my English class this year, "pink bits"). It's terribly fun. Jason's the one who recommended it to me, emailing me the suggestion when he was a mere 30 pages in. I finished it first, telling him that he had to call me when he finished it, too. He did last night at 11:00pm, which is why I didn't go to bed until 2:30 am, which is why I've had a headache all night and really ought to go to bed soon.


On Thursday I hit a major funk of a mood, feeling very angry and sad and stressed and all kinds of other things at once. So, naturally, I called my mom. She's very nice to me when I'm in complaining moods, which has been all-to-frequent this week. After I got off the phone with her, feeling better, I realized that that was the first real human interaction I had had since Sunday. Four days without really talking to anyone. I mean, I was busy and active and all, which explains why I didn't even realize how isolated I had been. I was surprised, though, at what a toll that took on my moods. As I said before, Friday was a much-needed day off.

Oh, and up until the trip yesterday, I had been very good, exercising about 1 hour a day every day since Saturday. It's a lot easier to do when it's mid-morning, as opposed to the early evening. I'm not at all eager to go back to work.

Tomorrow I'm off to good ol' Grand Junction. It's mostly a trip of practicality - I'm taking the cat down so she misses the rest of the move (she's already totally freaked out by the boxes), getting my car repaired, and hopefully hanging out with the folks a bit and playing with Emily and co.

There. I've been a good blogger, given a thorough update, and now I'm off to bed. If I can find my way there through the towers of boxes.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:06 PM

    Amanda: I never realized that I could access you through Em's site. Great fun to read what's up. I love the haircut! It is very flattering. Em said you're moving to Denver. Congratulations!!! I am jealous and proud of you!
    Later - Shauna