Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Secretary is Not a Toy

(I will be posting more about the DC trip, but first a quick post on this.)

To: President Barack Obama

Congratulations and thank you for all you do.

Your good friend Quincy Jones said: "...next conversation I have with President Obama is to beg for a Secretary of Arts."
[November 14th 2008 WNYC interview by John Schaefer on "Soundcheck."]

We the undersigned support Quincy Jones' plea.


Thank you.


Sincerely,

The Undersigned



I first heard about this petition on NPR, and I was torn. On one hand, the arts need more support in this country. NEED it, do you hear me? As a teacher in a school that is not-so-slowly getting rid of anything that isn't covered on the state tests, the arts need to be recognized and supported for what they bring to this country - culturally, fiscally, and emotionally.

On the other hand, it seems twisted to have the arts get more entwined with federal regulators and jurisdictions.

In the end, I signed it. I get it if you decide not to, but please at least think about it. And then go do something creative.

Petition for the Creation of a Position for the Secretary of the Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment