Sunday, November 01, 2009

Be Happy

We took first place as a team at the meet yesterday, even though we only competed in half of the events.

I'm kind of annoyed with the kids, though. Most of them sulk if they get anything less than first individually. I pointed out that there were 22 schools in competition yesterday, and taking 5th, 4th, or 2nd place is pretty awesome. "Whatever. I better get first next time," will be the pouty reply.

They are 1) spoiled by having done well in the past and 2) basing all judgment on how they did on the opinions of random individuals (and, seriously? The judges are often idiots. One of the wrote "my itetion was caught' (attention?) and another wrote "You were the cutest competitor in the room!" on two of our ballots.) (They used student judges at this meet, so that last one isn't quite as creepy as it sounds.) (But still).

I don't like it.


I want to go away next summer. I'm booked to volunteer in Thailand, but I'm not sure if that's the right place to go. Africa is enticing. I want to see a new place, to do some good work, and I want to look forward to something next year. Place tickets are pricey. The program I'm booked with is also expensive. What I should do is research other volunteer programs. I've done a little looking here and there, but I'm too tired to do the research I should.

I don't have a point to that last paragraph. Thanks for reading, though!

I'm going to bed. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment