Sunday, August 04, 2013

Radio Silence and an Owl

I haven't been blogging much this summer.

I'm keeping busy.  Not school-year-busy, but pleasantly so.  I'm accomplishing Things, doing my art classes, crafting, playing with friends, and so on.  I don't have a lot of stories to tell, though, and most of my current philosophical wrestlings are not topics I want to talk about here yet.

In other words, I just haven't felt much like blogging.

Still, I currently have five draft posts in my Blogger account; so hopefully I will get back up to speed in this, the last week before school starts.

I don't want to leave you with just a "Sorry I'm not blogging" blog post, though.  So I'll tell you about my new classroom pet.

Lisa and I had a two day Craftazmaganza this week.  She's in charge of the monthly social meetings in out ward (nee Enrichment/Homemaking), and with Super Saturday coming up in October we decided to get together this week and knock out as many crafts as we could.

I don't have pictures of the crafts, since they're currently at Lisa's house serving as prototypes.  I do, however, have a picture of the owl that Lisa talked me into buying at one of the many, many craft stores we visited:





D'aww.

How cute is he?  How could I not adopt him and take him to school?  He will live on my desk and guard my classes and I shall call him...

...something.  I'm still debating names.  I'd like to do something literary or theatrical since 1) it gets those names into my students' heads (many of my students credit their knowledge of Edna St. Vincent Millay's existence to the wee eponymous cactus I had on my desk) and 2) that's how I roll, yo.

Oscar Wilde?  F. Scott?  Fleance?





Hmm...  I'm open to suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Tartuffe because he's so fluffy! Or Owliere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:30 PM

    Last night, I thought Voltaire would be a good name, but I couldn't tell why. Was it just because we so enjoyed seeing the statue of Voltaire at The Hermitage in St. Petersberg? Yet, the name Voltaire didn't fit your owl.

    Tonight, I was explaining this to Susan when I suddenly realized that the owl shouldn't be named after Voltaire. Instead, he should be named after the French sculptor who created the Voltaire statue (and who also came to Mt. Vernon to sculpt George Washington). If you say his name out loud, especially while picturing an owl, you might agree that the subconscious mind puns: Houdon.

    -WillYum

    ReplyDelete