Wednesday, November 02, 2011

The New Display in Our Library

"Thanks"

But apparently not your "English teacher".

(Rueful, disgusted head shake)



Bonus semi-related story:

When I was teaching at DPJH, I told a story to one of my classes about "my friend, Jason."

"Ooh!" the class remarked. "Your 'friend' Jason?" they asked, making air quotes around the word "friend".

They continued to tease me about my "friend," and air quotes abounded. Finally, one girl who was not participating spoke up: "I don't get it," she said, looking very confused. "Is Jason a rabbit?"

3 comments:

  1. Ha! That's my favorite Jason story yet.

    But I'm more intrigued by the display. What is the theme? What ties those elements together? Bingo, Macbeth, a kid's book, wooden pumpkins, a map, some music, a Sports Illustrated, a local periodical, and a paper beaver. I don't get it. If you can make an improv speech using those elements: thank a speech teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm seriously temped to make a sign saying that and tape it to the display.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:23 PM

    I'm also troubled by the fact that none of the things in the window seem to be on a level of what high schoolers should be able to read (or ready to read when they go to college). I mean, why not have the REAL MacBeth, instead of an comic book version of it? And illustrated story book (the Caldecott/Newberry notwithstanding)? How about a map in a foreign language? This display would be more appropriate for an elemnetary school than a high school. -- The Rabbit

    ReplyDelete