Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dinner at Elki Palki

During our tour Monday Boris pointed out this restaurant off Nevsky Prospect as "a good place to get traditional Russian food,", so we headed here for dinner post-shopping.




I saw they had Fanta on the menu and while I don't touch the stuff in the States, I find that the European version's flavor and bubbles are much to my liking.  When the waitress came to take our order, I asked for "Fanta limon."

"Limon?" she asked, skeptically.

"Da, limon," I replied.  The menu hadn't listed flavor options, so I wasn't sure if her question was because they didn't offer that variety or because she didn't understand my pseudo-Russian.  She moved on to Dad's order though ("Kvass!"), so I assumed all was fine and patted myself on the back for my communication skills.

...Until she brought the drinks.  A Pepsi Light for Mom, a Kvass for Dad, and this for me:





Whoops.

I flagged her down when she brought the appetizers and tried again, this time with greater success:





It tasted American.


Dad, meanwhile, enjoyed his Kvass, posing with an appropriate face:




On to the food pictures!

Various Pirogi (bread filled with meat, cabbage, or mushroom)
This one was mushroom

Meat Jell-O with horseradish and mustard.
Mom and Dad liked it.
I prefer my meat less jiggly.
My main course - a meat and potato stew cooked in a clay pot with bread on top


Dumplings with Sour Cream

Potato Pancakes with Sour Cream

This was the best dessert we ate - a cake with layers of carmel, chocolate, and peanut butter mousse.

Carrot Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment