Sunday, January 06, 2008

Big

I got a bit crafty this Christmas. The big project was a pair of felt Norwegian house slippers for my daddy-o.

It was an educational project. First, about 9/16 of the way into the crocheting, I finally looked up the directions for how to felt and found that acryllic yarn doesn't felt. Whoops. So I ran to JoAnn's on my lunch break and picked up more skeins of yarn (100% wool this time). It took almost non-stop crocheting, but I managed to finish the 16 squares required, and I sewed them together.

They were rather large.


However, when I tried them on my feet, I realized how big they were. I hoped that felting really did shrink things. A lot.


Natasha "helping".


Although they didn't shrink nearly as much as I had hoped, Dad liked them. Here he is Christmas afternoon wearing the slippers, playing with one of his own Christmas craftiness projects - a harmonium-type instrument for Andy. Essentially, a collection of glasses glued to a board that, when filled with the right amount of water, become worthy to play the theme of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" on.

No comments:

Post a Comment