Friday, March 04, 2011

He Wanted to Say



"That has been the thing that I think for me has been the most mind-blowing for me watching this debate... To see people blaming the avarice of teachers. Or the idea that 'Hey, they only work nine months a year.'

God forbid you do the job of a teacher for a year! It will blow your mind at how hard-- My mother was a teacher for years, she worked in the educational field, she's still in the educational field. I couldn't be more impressed by what she did and the work she did in her life. Those people have no idea."
- Jon Stewart

Watch this. Please. It's fantastic. Jon Stewart is fantastic. I couldn't understand how quiet the audience was during the interview section of the show because I wanted to applaud so much of what was said. The first segment is dead on, too.

It just such a relief to hear someone outside of education with respected status and a national platform saying these things. I suddenly felt a great deal of empathy for Seuss' trees.


Thank goodness for the Lorax! Thank goodness for Jon Stewart.

3 comments:

  1. Even before you were my sister, I had a good respect for teachers. I don't understand how anyone who goes through the education system can fail to have a deep respect for the selflessness of teachers. It just blows my mind that anyone would even begin to think that they are greedy or lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:02 PM

    I liked him better as Jonny Leibowitz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. I'm really glad you posted this and I wish I could sit with you and talk about it at length. I'm frustrated with the situation and disappointed in so many people.

    ReplyDelete