Thursday, March 01, 2012

Two Additional Scenes from Mountain Town This Week

#1

In an effort to cure the rash on my hands, I slathered up my hands in Vaseline and then donned thick gel-lined gloves before going to sleep the other night. I woke up about two hours later because my hands were so hot. Groggy and not-really-awake, I peeled off the gloves and went back to sleep with my hand dangling over the edge of the bed. Some short time later I felt sandpaper on my hands. Natasha, who hardly ever licks me, was cleaning the Vaseline off my hands.

"That's gross, Cat," I muttered before falling back asleep.


#2

I stopped by Mountain Town's hardware store after rehearsal today to pick up a few set-building items. As I left the store with my box of purchases, a burly mountain man parked his truck and greeted me with a friendly, "Hey! How's the musical going?"

I gave my pat "Oh, it's crazy right now, but it's going to be great!" answer as I flipped through my mental photobook of parents trying to match this fellow to one of my students.

"I bet it will be!" he said. "{Student's name] was up in church last week asking for our prayers for the show." He switched to his imitation of a teenage girl's voice, "It's three weeks away and I don't know how it's going to go and I'm so nervous!" He chuckled, and I laughed with him. "I'm sure it's going to be a great show," he said as he pulled open the door of the store. "See you there!"

As I said, it's a nice community. It's also very, very small. I still have no idea who that man was, although he apparently knows the high school's drama teacher on sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment